Did you Know you can return your old electrical products to any Expert Electrical store nationwide?
You can bring any old or unwanted electricals or electronic equipment to your local Expert Electrical store for Free Recycling. You do not have to have bought your items from us and you do not need to make a new purchase to avail of the Free Recycling. We accept everything from fridges to computers, and kettles to TVs. For store locations, click here for your local Expert.
How does WEEE work?
From the 13th of August 2005 retailers are obliged to take back WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) from members of the public free of charge. This new EU directive ensures that all historic WEEE products are collected, treated and disposed of in an environmentally sound manner.
What products can I recycle for free?
- Large Domestic Appliances – washing machines, cookers, dishwashers etc.
- Cooling Appliances – Refrigerators, freezers etc.
- Small Domestic Appliances – keyboards, toasters, electrical tools
- Display Equipment – Computer monitors, CRT, LCD and plasma televisions
- Batteries – rechargeable and single use
- Lighting – Gas discharge lights, fluorescent tubes, low energy lightbulbs (CFLs)
Do I need to have made a purchase at Expert Ireland to recycle?
No. You can recycle any of the above items at our stores even if you have not made a purchase with us.
How much will it cost?
There is no charge to return products to any of our stores.
Will you collect my old product?
If you have purchased a large appliance from us and have chosen to have it delivered to your home, we will take your old one appliance back to be recycled for no extra cost on the same one-for-one, like for like basis. Please ensure your old appliance is disconnected, clean and ready for the driver at the time of delivery. Please note that smaller appliances that are delivered via courier currently can’t be collected however you can still recycle with us by bringing your item to your nearest Expert store.
- Please make sure any appliance you give to us for recycling is in a fit state. E.g. Appliances should be clean and empty.
- If recycling on delivery, it’s important we don’t damage your home. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your unwanted appliance if the appliance is unmovable or not in a fit state.
- With recycling on delivery, we can only guarantee to remove an appliance that is the same size or smaller than the one we’re delivering. However, we will try to oblige if we can and have space on the delivery van.
- If the manufacturer is delivering your new appliance direct, they’ll only recycle like for like – for example, if you’re receiving a new fridge freezer, they’ll only take a fridge freezer.
- If you’re bringing a PC, tablet, laptop or mobile phone for recycling in-store please ensure any personal data is removed.
Experts in Recycling
As Ireland largest electrical retailer, we collect, re-use and recycle WEEE each year. We Ensure that your old product is disposed of correctly to reduce the potentially harmful effects caused on the environment and to conserve natural resources. In July 2007, the government introduced new rules to help reduce volumes of untreated waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) going to landfill, and to control its treatment. To comply with these rules, we only sell electricals and electronics that can be recycled, as indicated by the symbol of a crossed-out wheelie bin which appears on them. Even if your old electrical appliances or technologies don’t bear this symbol, the good news is we’ll accept them for recycling.
What are Visible Environmental Management Costs?
These are recycling charges authorised by the government for certain categories of B2C electrical and electronic products. They are referred to as visible Environmental Management Costs (vEMC’s). These fees are invoiced by producers to retailers/distributors. The fee must be shown separately for each product line to which it applies. vEMC‘s should not be charged on products being exported. Retailers/distributors then show and charge these to end users on a per product basis. The applicable fees are shown in the latest NPRB category listing (currently 5.7). vEMCs as of 21st July 2014 are inclusive of 23% VAT.
|Category 1||Refridgeration(Side by Side / American Style)||€10.00|
|Refridgeration(2 Door under/over configuarion)||€5.00|
|Chest Freezers over 150L||€5.00|
|Category 2||Large TVs 73cm+||€5.00|
|Category 3||Gas Discharge Laps||€0.15|
|Category 4||Large Appliances – Washing machines, dryers, washer dryer,||€5.00|
|Combination oven, oven, gas cooker with electronic / electric element, free standing, slot in and hi back cooking appliances.||€5.00|
Further information can be found on www.weeeireland.ie